Other than the rare but messy nap transitions, I guess 18 months is a milestone of sorts. Today was his vaccination appointment and the PD also had quite a bit of questions for us to check if Nat’s developing well. Maybe Nat also knows he’s grown up now because he kept pointing at other babies and said, “baby”. Yup, he’s no longer a baby.
So what do they typically ask at the 18 months check up?
Can he say 1 or 2 syllable words? How about Mama and Papa?
- Yes and no. Nat doesn’t refer to me as Mama. I am “Ah Mee” to him haha because I prefer it that way but HJ is “Papa”. Other than that, his most frequently spoken words are animals and their sounds. So our PD said, “he’s fine, not slow, but not super also”. Love how she summed it up.
Does he take more fresh or formula milk?
- Roughly the same actually. For his 1st and last feed, it’s formula milk but in the day time, Nat takes fresh milk mixed with formula.
- I guess we need to increase the proportion of fresh milk vis-a-vis formula moving forward.
Can walk and run? How about climb stairs with support?
- Yes he can (we didn’t tell her the part about how we wished he would stop climbing the stairs because I’m so afraid he would fall face flat and chip his teeth)… but yes, he can climb any flight of stairs holding our hand for support. Actually it’s us, the adults, who dare not let go of him.
Can he hold a crayon and doodle?
- Erm, I guess he can but Nat prefers brush calligraphy pens to crayons and colour pencils. His markings are still quite faint. Mostly random scribbling.
Can he drink from a cup? And a straw?
- Erm… yes but not by himself because the water usually spills everywhere. I guess we need to practice more as now he drinks from his water bottle with a straw.
Then I also had some questions of my own for the PD.
Can and/or should Nat sleep on a pillow?
PD: Yes! Anytime after 3 months.
Me: What?? So young. Oops. He sleeps flat on the mattress now.
PD: Aiyo so uncomfortable!
Me: So now what kind do we get? A toddler one?
PD: No la. Any one is fine just make sure it’s not too high. He’s so old and big already!
Well… I guess we’ll be searching for a pillow soon.
I think when he’s nearer 2 years old then I will ask about toilet training?? He’s not ready and we definitely aren’t!
Exciting times ahead.